Govharaga (real name Govharnisa), the daughter of the last khan of Karabakh Ibrahim khan, was also one of the famous philanthropists of her time.
The Ashagi Govharaga Mosque, built at his expense, was built in Shusha in 1874-1875 by the architect Karbala Safikhan Garabaghi.
The mosque was included in the "List of immovable historical and cultural monuments of national importance" by the decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan No. 132 dated August 2, 2001. During the occupation of Shusha in May 1992, the building and minarets of the Ashagi Govharaga mosque came under heavy fire from armored vehicles.
The Upper Govhar Agha Mosque was built in 1883-84, ie about eight years after the Lower Govhar Agha Mosque, at the expense of Govhar Agha by the architect Karbala Safikhan Garabaghi.
This mosque, which has a square plan (21.30 x 26.20 m), generally supports the construction idea of Aghdam Juma and Ashagi Govhar aga mosques. One of the main construction criteria of the architect is the balcony on the second floor, installed along the side walls of the hall, and the glazing opposite the altar.
Although the minaret of the Upper Govharaga Mosque is made of natural limestone, as in previous mosques, the geometric ornaments used on its body do not correspond to the minaret decorations of the Lower Govharaga Mosque. They mainly continue the artistic idea of geometric ornaments on the minarets of the Aghdam Juma Mosque. The attic roof of the minarets is made of wood. Its end is decorated with a crescent-shaped figure.
This mosque, which has been used as a history museum since 1969, was destroyed by Armenian vandals in May 1992 after the occupation of Shusha.
After the liberation of Shusha by the Azerbaijani army on November 8, 2020, the Heydar Aliyev Foundation is carrying out restoration work in mosques.
Shusha Tourist Attractions
Shusha fortress: The fortress, built by Panahali khan for defensive purposes, was built in an inaccessible and even besieged place in the Shusha lowland. The fortress was surrounded by dense forests on all sides and ended in ravines in some parts, which was considered an impassable barrier by the enemy.
The house of Khurshidbanu Natavan: The two-storey house of Khurshidbanu Natava, known as the famous Azerbaijani poet, khan gizi, is a historical and architectural monument of the XVIII century. On the first floor of the building there are seven service rooms for servants. There are three entrance gates on the south side. The door in the middle of them leads to the corridor, and the other two doors on the sides lead to the side rooms.
Museum-mausoleum of Molla Panah Vagif: The construction of the museum-mausoleum complex of the famous Azerbaijani poet Molla Panah Vagif began in 1977 on the basis of the project of architects A.V Salamzadeh and E.I Kanukov. The complex was opened in January 1982. The complex was built on the tomb of the great poet near the Cidir plain, a prominent place in Shusha. Here M.P. About 80 exhibits reflecting the life of Vagif in Shusha were also exhibited.
The house-museum of Uzeyir Hajibeyov: The house-museum of the great Azerbaijani composer Uzeyir Hajibeyov in Shusha was established in 1959. The house-museum functioned until the occupation of Shusha by Armenian invaders in 1992. Along with household items belonging to the Hajibeyov family, Uzeyir Bey's personal belongings, photos, books, books dedicated to him and donated to the museum occupied an important place in the museum's exposition.