Saatli mosque

XVIII century’s essential architectural monument. İnventory number: 355

It is a historical mosque located in Saatli quarter of Shusha city. The mosque was built in 1883 on the site of a previous mosque and madrasa built by Panah Ali Khan in Shusha in 1759 based on the project of the architect Karbalayi Safikhan Garabaghi. In 1759, Molla Panah Vagif, a famous Azerbaijani poet, used to teach at this madrasa. The minaret of the mosque makes it distinct from other quarter mosques in Shusha. During the occupation, the balcony of the minaret of the mosque was destroyed by Armenian terrorists as a result of the explosion of a shell fired from grenades. Moreover, the exquisite work of the interior of the building, the lattice-style windows were destroyed, and the stone floor was stolen. Later, changes were made by the Armenian invaders under the name of "restoration" by introducing inappropriate design in the building of the mosque. Changes and additions were made in the shape of a cross on the roof of the building. After the liberation of the city, the mosque was restored to its former appearance.

Other Historical Monuments